Monday, March 2, 2009

Book Roundup: Playing Catchup!

So...I took the better part of a month off from blogging because I had to run away and do a little something called get married. I still did plenty of reading (in order to procrastinate on wedding projects), but between actually trying to complete projects, and starting a new job, I couldn't find the time to blog.

So here's a list of what I've read since I last blogged - some of these books may get posts of their own, but I'm not going to break my back to catchup on the backlog of books.

Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street by Michael Davis. It is, indeed, a very complete history, not just of Sesame Street, but of the state of children's television before Sesame Street started (as for many people involved, Sesame Street wasn't their first foray into children's television, so the book talks about their experiences on those other shows. I think it would break my mother's heart if she found out that Captain Kangaroo was kind of a dick in real life).

Minders of Make Believe by Leonard Marcus. Man, I've been waiting for this book forever. It probably would have been helpful back when I was writing my senior thesis. Oh well.

I Am Apache by Tanya Landman. This one will most likely be getting its own post because I loved it. Talk about a kick ass heroine. A little bit too perfect at times, but not enough to take away from the general awesome-ness of this.

The Revolution of Sabine by Beth Lavine Ain. This one, on the other hand, probably won't be getting a blog post, just because it hasn't really stuck with me. I remember enjoying it, but it was nothing to rave about.

Madapple by Christina Meldrum. Wow, this one was weird. I'm still not sure what happened. And I'm not sure whether I liked that or not.

Dear Julia by Amy Bronwen Zemser. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of this one. Will probably get its own post because of how much it irritated me, from the protagonist's ridiculous speech patterns to the negative feminist stereotype of a mother.

The Fold by An Na. A great story about a young Korean-American woman who is offered the chance to have plastic surgery so her eyes will look more American. Joyce's struggles, with the surgery, with her family, with her friends, all felt very real (though I totally called what was going on with Helen very early on in the book. Not sure if that was my awesome deductive reasoning skills, or if it's the conclusion I want from most books, lol)

Pleasure Control by Cathryn Fox. Picked this one up from my new job. LOL it's terrible. There are few things more hilarious in life than poorly written erotica. The sex scenes were bad (half the time I couldn't tell what was going on, and when I could figure it out, I wasn't sure how they had gotten there and if it were physically possible), the plot was barely there and ridiculous - seriously bad stuff. And there's a sequel!!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails