Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Book Thoughts: More awards and blogger/librarian praise

In November we had the National Book Awards. In the past week, the shortlists for two ALA awards have been posted as well: the YALSA award for Excellence in Nonfiction and the William C. Morris Award for debut authors writing for young adults.

Nonfiction shortlist:

  • Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing by Ann Angel
  • They Called Themselves the KKK by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
  • Spies of Mississippi by Rick Bowers
  • The Dark Game: True Spy Stories by Paul Janeczko
  • Every Bone Tells a Story by Jill Rubalcaba and Peter Robertshaw

I just picked up Janis Joplin last night, and I have to admit that out of the three I haven't read, it's the one I'm most excited about.

Morris shortlist:

  • Hush by Eishes Chayil
  • Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey
  • Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride
  • Crossing the Tracks by Barbara Stuber
  • The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston
Guardian of the Dead is still one of my favorite reads of the year, so currently I'm rooting for that one...but it's also the only Morris nominee I've read. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the others at my library!

In non-awards news, this week also saw the publication of a profile on one of my favorite people in the world, Cindy Dobrez, my librarian from back in middle school and current blogger extraordinaire along with Lynn at Bookends. I talked to a columnist with the Christian Science Monitor last month, sharing how Cindy inspired me as a student and still helps me out today (even if most of that didn't make it into the article!) Check it out! 
Related Posts with Thumbnails